Thursday, July 2, 2009

Continuation of Yesterday

Well ended up getting the drain put in. Wasn't so bad once they injected the lydacain. Was totally fascinating as I watched the procedure via the ultrasound monitor. It is totally amazing what they can do! There was allot of fluid so the new drain was definitely needed. You are going to think this is warped and strange, but it was funny watching my right breast deflate like a balloon as soon as the drain was operative.

Dr. Hart (the surgeon) showed up during the procedure to say hi as she was in the building. Her last day as a Dr. in St. Petersburg was the day before (she is moving to Park City August 1 ... if you EVER need a surgeon in that area, definitely call her! We got invited to her farewell party that night, but after the depressing news in the morning and the pain from the drain, we begged off.

Sleep last night was not easy, think I might actually take a nap today. Just came back from Dr. Gayoso's office (plastic surgeon). We discussed in more detail the reconstruction. He is definitely not a fan of putting in an implant after radiation (but would do it if we insist) as there is a very good chance that the implant would compress and become hard and in time wouldn't match the other breast that did not get radiation. He is more of a fan of taking fat and tissue from the abdomen area creating breasts from that (I immediately asked if that means I don't have to lose the 15 pounds that I want and don't have to do sit-ups -- as this sounds like a tummy tuck to me!!!). He didn't like that idea!!! Lot of options to think about and we have time to explore them as the surgery wouldn't occur until at least the beginning of the year. Guess I am glad I haven't yet bought my gown for Elizabeth's Debutante Ball (week between Christmas and New Year's).

2 comments:

  1. U R both amazing people and we love you dearly. Kathie, I have friends that have had each of the procedures(new boobies). If you would like to speak to either of them just let me know. No matter what, you will be radiant at Elizabeth's Ball.
    Please make arrangements for your feet. I think that both of you could use a moment's peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathie - I don't think we have ever met but I worked in L&E in the Boston office until I went on a tour to Helsinki 2 years ago. I heard about your "wild ride" from Julie and have been following your blog. My mom is a 10-year breast cancer survivor. It sounds like they might be recommending a tram flap reconstruction to you? My mom had that at the same time as her mastectomy. I am sure if you wanted to talk to someone who has gone through the surgery, she would be happy to talk to you. She was pleased with the results. If you want me to put you in touch with her, just send me an email - arobichaud72@yahoo.com. You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete