Saturday, July 11, 2009

Not much to report since last Monday. We did celebrate that night, not with champagne, but a nice bottle of red. We (Robert, myself, Elizabeth and Jason) did a double celebration at a restaurant on the beach called Salt Rock for both Robert's birthday and the no chemo. Fantastic night. We were so stuffed that we decided to forgoe the birthday cake until the following day!

We also went that day to a mastectomy shop to look for boobs and bras. I don't know where they find these sales people or who designs these shops, but they despirately need to get out of the middle ages and get with the program. I swear, the first bra this woman showed me was something straight out of the 50's (seams and cone front ... Madonna could have used it in one of her videos!). Not realizing I didn't really have any other options, I had the woman order some boobs for me to try on (seems they didn't stock "matching pairs"). The next day, I went through my resource book and saw that Nordstrom's was listed. I called them and made an appointment with Maureen. She was amazing (think it helps that she is also originally from Long Island!). I knew I always loved Nordstrom's before, but now ..... Nordstrom's and Cigna (our insurance company) even have accounts set up so the insurance company is automatically billed! Anyway, found "boobs" that look and feel nice (and Maureen suggested that I "drive them home" (aka, wear them out of the store ... this woman definitely has my sense of humor! What I find totally amazing is that for 3 bras and 1 pair of boobs, total cost of $800 (we are all in the wrong business!) What do woman do who don't have insurance. So after reconstruction in January, I will disinfect the boobs and donate them to the cancer closet (a store where woman without insurance can get free stuff).

Still having good and bad days. If I don't get enough sleep, I am definitely in a lot of pain the next day (the nerve endings and tightness are definitely letting me know they are not happy!

Thanks to the "noodging" and daily e-mails from Pam insisting that I get a second opionion (she event sent over the bios of the doctors at Moffit ... gee and I thought I was "pushy" .. no wonder we have been friends for the past 36 years ... THANKS PAM) I have made an appointment (August 5th) with the breast section of Moffit Hospital to review my file and see if they concur with my oncologist and radiation oncologist.

Thank you all for your support, thoughtfulness and friendship. I seriously could not be doing this well without all of you.

Love, Kathie

3 comments:

  1. Pushy Pam is my kind of gal. We share the same opinion, but I couldn't bare having another family member mad at me,(ha, ha- you know that I actually like it) So I am very happy that your friend was so pushy. I'm certain the new doctor will concur and you will have peace of mind.

    I'm sure that your new boobs are perky. Mine have officially reached my knee caps! Love to all!

















    we

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Pam. I agree, you MUST get a 2nd opinion. Maybe even a 3rd. This is just too important. Enjoy your new "boobs" heehee. I feel ya on the nerve ending nonsense - I have it going on big time. Crazy stuff. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...speaking of boobs past kneedaps...LOL...I agree about the 2nd and 3rd opinion. The nerve ending stuff will get better. It's the twitching I couldn't stand! Good to hear you and your family are doing so well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete