Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sorry for the delay in updates!

Again, sorry for not keeping the blog up to date, but unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), there hasn't been much to report.

Last Friday (the 17th) I meet with Dr. Miercort (the radiation doctor) for my "simulation". Its about a half-hour process where they take several cat scans and submit them to some type of computer program that "maps" my radiation treatment plan. Dr. Miercort then compares the computer generated plan to my previous scans and either signs off on the plan or refines it. I then go back this Friday the 24th to then compare the marks that they drew on my chest for where they think the radiation points should be focused (I swear this doctor is a frustrated artist as he keeps taking out his sharpie and drawing on me ... I even asked him to autograph his last "masterpiece" but he wasn't getting my humor that day ... though this time I did notice that he has two holes in his ear from when he had pierced ears .. guess he outgrew that stage). Sorry for digressing! Anyway, once the plan is finalized, they then tattoo me (suppose to look like a black freckle ... I asked for lime green but was turned down .. damn they are such conformists!). Its a permanent tattoo so that in the event this sucker comes back (WHICH IT WOULDN'T DARE ... or Julie will personally beat the crap out of it) they know where it was that they radiated. Then I start going every day (except Saturday and Sunday) for the next 6 weeks for the radiation treatments. I also think I will continue on short-term disability though the middle to end of August.

So that's what's been going on medically lately. Though I have been in the process of securing all of the paperwork and films for the 2nd opinion at Moffit on the 5th.

I have been swimming every day, which has helped tremendously with my arm mobility. I am able to stretch much easier in the water utilizing my water weights and a "noodle". I can almost put my hands straight up (if you don't count the bending of my elbows ... ok, so I cheat!) I can now actually reach the second shelf of the kitchen cabinets. Yahoo!!! I have been given the go-ahead to drive, but Mr. Blogoo will only allow me to drive locally. I can drive straight easily and make simple turns, but if I have to turn the wheel hard (like in a parking lot) that is a challenge. The things you take for granted!

Actually got to go out last Saturday night to Alison and Ted's for dinner (terrific wine, delicious meal and great conversation ... thanks guys ... it felt great getting out of the house ... the walls definitely start to close in on you when you can't get out).

I still haven't even gotten to any of the items I put on my to do list for while I was out. Anke says I need to review the list and set goals for what I want to accomplish each week so I will give that a shot (also once I tell her that is what I am going to do, she will check up on me each week to ensure I accomplished it ... no wonder she makes a great "Life Coach" (www.coachinglifeactions.com if you want to hire her :)

Thanks again for all of your support!!!

Love, Kathie

2 comments:

  1. I know it's hard work getting all your films and reports but once you have it keep it in a binder and everytime you get a new test put it in that binder. I think about you everyday and I'll be waiting to hear about Aug. 5th!!!!
    Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear there is "no news" in the good way. And the mobility of your arm already is awesome! Leave it to you to kick recovery into high gear. You know we miss your smiling voice and beautiful face around here.
    Hugs,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete