Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Definitely on the pooped side today, think I must have done too much yesterday. Guess Robert bathing me, dressing me, cooking for me, fluffing my pillows and helping me back into bed (we have a rice bed and the mattress starts at my hips so am now required to actually use the decorative steps to get into bed .. thanks Donna ... remember they were a gift from you!) have definitely taken its toll (I could get use to this!!!) The visiting nurse came yesterday and said that I was doing so much better than her other two patients who only had a single breast removed (loved hearing this ... never realized I had such a competitive streak .. Julie between you and I we can leave these other women in the dust!).

"Cassandra" received her very own floral delivery yesterday, with instructions to the florist to make it "diva -ish". The arrangement has boa feathers all over it and the word "hot" in crystals. Way to go Peggy, leave it to you to come up with the unexpected!

The visiting nurse just left and it seems I have some type of "something" going on that wasn't there yesterday. Not quite an infection, possibly a fungus (yuk) but she wasn't sure what it was. So after consulting with the Dr. on duty, he put me on an antibiotic with instructions to see my Dr. tomorrow. So the visiting nurse will come over at 8:00 am (there goes my beauty sleep!) see how I am doing and then call my Dr. to schedule a time for me to come into the office. This leaves me hopeful that I might be able to also get the drains out a day earlier (wishful thinking but what the heck!).

Have I also mentioned that modesty completely goes out the window with a mastectomy (not that I really had any to start with!). So many people have seen my boobs (or lack of them) that I feel like I should also start charging an admission fee! Oh and speaking of that, I forgot to mention that the fabulous Dr. Hart was able to actually do a nipple saving surgery (I am sure more info than many of you were hoping for!) Meaning she was able to scoop out all of the cancer (notice the words "was able to" as opposed to "hoping") but keep all of the outward skin intact. Still looks like something Frankenstein would have passed over, but definitely something for the plastic surgeon to work with (who is a cutie that totally reminds Robert and I of "Beau" (the kids' cousin).

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kathie! Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress! I'm anxious to hear what your doc has to say tomorrow! Keep up the good work!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings to you - and Cassandra :) Hoping the doc delivers good news today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Hope the drains come out as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm...a fungus? And yet you're full of humor and spunk as usual. You're doing great!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete