Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thank you all for your Thoughts, Prayers and Toasts - As they paid off!

Had the most wonderful day yesterday! It started with the appointment with Dr. Gayoso (plastic surgeon - cute, funny, fantastic dresser and someone who gives you his complete attention when talking ... sorry Robert! But I would take you in a heartbeat over him and Sean, so you are stuck with me.

Well anyway back to the story. It seems Dr. Gayoso had just gotten off the phone with the pathologist and proceeded to give us the "unofficial" word that the LYMPH NODES WERE CLEAN! We didn't know whether to scream, cry or laugh. Eventually we got back to the reason for our visit ... to discuss the reconstruction surgery scheduled for Monday the 29th. It was totally amazing, he took out this measuring devise, consulted this spreadsheet and then gave us some options ... felt like a Chinese menu - something from Column A, Column B or Column C. Sorry Tammy, he nixed the DDs (at least for now) everyone else, Tammy is the one that wants the DDs not me! He then took out another sheet and said I think I will bring 3 of this type, 3 of that type, etc. (I was afraid to ask why 3 ... did he have a secret Picasso fantasy?). Anyway, he ended up saying he was going to be bringing something like 8 different types to see what fit better. Man, I would LOVE to go shopping with this guy! We were definitely on top of the world when we left his office.

We then headed directly to the surgeon's office (definitely like the fact that these appointments were booked back-to-back and they are only about 1/2 mile away from each other). Only had to wait about 10 minutes at Dr. Hart's office before being brought into her office. This was a day if miracles! Dr. Hart immediately confirmed that it was official regarding the pathology on the lymph nodes (no cancer) but that the pathology on the tumors and the margin areas were not back yet. Since she cut right to the muscle and right to the top of the skin - leaving nothing in between, the pathologist wants to be certain that the cancer had not spread to the muscles since the tumors were right on top of the muscles. So back to the waiting line again, but at least we have some great news to hang onto. She then also explained that the pathologist would also determine if the tumors were self-contained or if they had started to invade other areas. She also indicated that if they were all completely self-contained, there was a chance that, AND GET THIS, that I might not need chemo nor radiation. Unfortunately because I am "unique" (please stop laughing), my case does not fall easily into any one clear path. So she is having my file presented to a group of doctors that get together every other week to discuss patients and their treatments (kinda like a brain trust) to get their take on what the best course of action should be. So the reconstruction is now postponed to the 15th of July. I also had a lump on the right side that they ultrasounded ... was fluid buildup which she aspirated out.

She then told us we should definitely go out for a drink tonight (gee, I do like this woman!), she then told Robert that I would probably be a cheap date (his eyes lit up)! I then asked how alcohol and vicodin would mix (who was this woman asking this "stupid" question?). Dr. Hart then said mixing the two could cause slower breathing ... and she looked directly at Robert and said "if this happens, give her mouth to mouth ... I needed depends at that moment!

Well we did celebrate, Jason, Robert and I did go out for Sushi and I had Saki.

Life is definitely good! Seriously, I would like to thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and toasts as without your vibes and pull with the one above, I don't think any of this would have been possible.

Love, Kathie

4 comments:

  1. i need blogging for dummies

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I did it! Your family sure has some slow folks in it. I have been trying to write to you and Rob for days.
    Well it looks like I'm in now. I had to take remedial blogging 101 and Mr. Bloomers thought that he had problems! Hearing the news and reading it again has put a smile on all our faces. (Even Raymond is beaming from ear to ear)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ridiculously excited to hear this! YAH! I'm glad to hear your healing well too. Good news all the way around!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete