Saturday, June 20, 2009

In the words of Jack Nicholson in the "Shining" ... I'm Back!!!

Thank you all for all of your thoughts, prayers and "toasts". Is sounds so cliche but they really did help me through the past few days. I am a very lucky woman to have you all in my life! THANK YOU!

It seems like so long ago since Wednesday. Amazing what drugs can do! After surgery, I didn't end up praying to the bowl goddess (or in the case of a hospital bed, the plastic bucket goddess), but came awfully close! Unfortunately, didn't get the morphine pump (bummer) but had the injection morphine. The pain wasn't so bad until around 4 am and then my pain scale shot up to an 11 (scale only goes to 10). The next 3 hours were horrible as the morphine couldn't keep up with the pain, but by 7 am things started making a positive turn. Turns out the sentinel lymph nodes were malignant so those were removed along with the auxiliary lymph nodes (all on the right side). Don't know how many were removed nor their status, but will find out on Tuesday when we go back to the Dr.

When the Dr's assistant came in on Thursday morning to see "how things look", I was amazed by the fact that they don't use gauze, but a clear skin over the wounds and I don't have to use the ace bandage if I don't want to. So I am not as "stinky" as Julie, but am still on the "ripe" side.

Extremely tired and napping with eyes open (a nice way of saying zoning out) but getting through this. I read Julie's post and realized that what I thought might have been a pinched nerve in my back from staying in one position (my right arm is tingly and sort of half sleeping), but instead be a symptom of lymphodema. So will be doing some research on that and exercising the arm today as much as I can. The homecare nurse is coming at 5 so I will ask her then.

And before I forget, you are not going to believe what happened when I first got to the hospital. After checking in, changing into that lovely gown, and the nurse taking my vitals, a woman from the administration came in and said rather deadpan "did you bring it", I was like "excuse me", and she asked again "did I bring it", after going back and forth on this for a few minutes, it turns out she was asking if I brought the check to cover my out of pocket expenses relating to the hospital stay. Only in America!!!

5 comments:

  1. Glad your out of pain, so now the real adventure starts. It's a tough road, but your a tough girl!!! Your from New Jersey!
    Here is one of my Ovarian support group blog to give you ideas. http://womenofteal.blogspot.com/
    Call if you need me!!! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathie! So nice to hear from you!!! I've been praying for you nonstop, and for Julie, too. Following both your blogs on a daily basis and just so impressed with both of you. Thank you for being so courageous and sharing it with all of us. - Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for being home with the true A team :).
    Ok on the lymphedema stuff - wait 3 weeks before doing any arm exercises - they're gonna give you a script for PT for that so don't worry - and a compression sleeve to wear while traveling or doing yard work or other labor type work to protect the arm from injury which could lead to lymphedema infection. Also - don't panic about the numb and tingling in the arm on either side - when they remove breast tissue they have not choice but to disrupt nerve endings which will eventually regrow/heal and that crazy feeling should go away but for a little while we're stuck with it. I have that bizarre feeling in both arms right now and it sucks :( but I trust that it'll get better with time as yours will too.

    I didn't have to pay my out of pocket part (yet) but I know that bill is coming and it'll be a whopper. Chemo and radiation are big ticket items too so Bob and I expecting we'll max out the out of pocket maximum number this year and next. Cancer is big business - bastards! ;/

    Love you and wish I could give you a flat chested hug right now haha :) Did I make you laugh? Talk to ya soon sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are back, Jack! Robert did a fab job, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathie! I have been thinking about you and praying for you as well and I am so happy you are feeling better and doing well. This blog was a great idea. It not only provides updates on how you are doing, but it also helps us to not worry about you so much since we can get messages directly from you :-) Keep that great attitude, it will get you everywhere!

    ReplyDelete